NH Steward

Back to NHSteward.org

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mr. Gibbs Goes to South Africa

After just six months on the job, and at a time when most Americans are cutting back on their summer vacation plans, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs is lobbying his boss for a taxpayer funded trip to South Africa so he can take in the World Cup. Here is the video:



And the transcript from yesterday's press briefing:
Q Robert, there's a report by ESPN that's getting widespread pickup. This is a year out, but I have to ask the question nonetheless -- the President's plan on going to South Africa for the opening of the World Cup. Is this travel in the planning?

MR. GIBBS: Well, though you wouldn't know it from my physique, as a former college soccer player, I asked the scheduling office about this, as well. (Laughter.) What's so funny?

Q What position? Midfield?

MR. GIBBS: Goalkeeper. Go figure, right. (Laughter.)

Q Now it makes sense. (Laughter.)

MR. GIBBS: Sort of look, and I see it all -- I asked specifically that, as well, in order to get my seat early. I'm told from scheduling that the President has accepted a meeting with the head of FIFA World Cup, but we have not yet altogether made plans -- though I can assure you that a small group of us have assembled in order to move the President in that direction.

Q Tickets --

MR. GIBBS: Exactly. I've got four right up close.
Of course, from an Administration that believes "date night" should include a flight to New York – this sort of a story is no longer much of a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment